So, for the Officer Candidacy Board on April 26th, I had to write a letter about why I wanted to become an Army officer. This is the letter:
WHY I WANT TO BE AN ARMY OFFICER
It is seldom a person can say she feels as if she is moving the right direction in her career. The unknown lurks in the bushes, crouched, anticipating her next move; waiting for her to decide which path she will take today. When she settles on the path, (whether it be the less traveled by one or not) he jumps out and shocks her into a submission that leads her right back to where she began. So many times, people are forced into compliance because they are afraid of what could happen if they make the wrong decision. They do not possess the knowledge that allows the confidence and reassurance that their choice will lead them down the best path for the person they want to become.
Many times I have stood at the crossroads of my career status. A few times, I reached a rash decision and chose to go with my instincts. The other times, I possessed the information I needed to make the right choice for me. I have been at the epitome of teenage jobs as a fast-food employee; I have been a secretary, a retail manager, and a college student. Some occupations were fitting for me, while some were lacking. Lacking the challenge, lacking the environment to excel and learn, lacking the drive that I needed to push ahead.
As far as I am concerned, the challenge is never lacking with the United States military. One is constantly pushed to improve and be the best so she can benefit from all the military has to offer and take that knowledge from the battlefield to everyday life. I know that the training I will endure will be rigorous and I will be challenged everyday, both mentally and physically. I am willing to accept this challenge to become a respected, educated, and well-trained leader. The wisdom that the military will teach me is wisdom I can get nowhere else. This insight will be used daily from my everyday tasks to my long-term goals and I believe that I am ready to accept this challenge and move forward with the United States Army.
Left behind is the ho-hum monotony of the infamous desk job and racing toward me is the life I desire: the life of a United States Army officer. This is the path that I am confident will train me to be my best and will train me to help others excel to be their best as well. I am confident in this choice and will challenge myself until that goal is a reality.
Katelyn Reynolds
April 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
sounds awesome, very empowered. do you actually have to stand in front of them like an audition and explain yourself?
Pretty much. I am sitting in front of them for 45 minutes with my hands placed directly on my knees and they ask me questions about the jobs I want to do, why I want to do it and what I would do in any given situation. Should be fun :)
Post a Comment