So, with all this VA Tech news racing around, I have something to say. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and so, this is mine. Firstly, (and so you all don't think I am just a heartless bitch) I just want to say that it is a tragedy. For the families that lost members, it is 100% of their lives right now and that is terrible. Secondly, and more importantly, things like this happen around the world EVERYDAY. America is so inconceivably lucky that having 33 people killed is considered a "massacre". The same day of the VA Tech shootings:
- 56 soldiers were killed in Iraq and Afganistan
- a car bomb (1 of 4) was planted in Bahgdad, ultimately killing over 178 people, including 122 construction workers that were rebuilding the city since the last blast happened
- in Egypt, a head-on collision between a school bus and a truck killed 18 students and injured eight others on a road south of Cairo
- in Rio de Janeiro, mourners fled from gunfire at a cemetery and families ran for cover on the streets, as shootouts between rival drug gangs and police killed at least 20 people
- in the Philippines, a missing Peace Corps volunteer's body was found
And yet, these headlines, that are in turn devestating when compared to a small 33 people, are in the margins of the "Brutal Massacre at Virginia Tech." I hope that when I join the military, if I happen to die for the freedom of my country and the people in it, I won't be a margin in the local paper. Imagine how the families of all the fallen soldiers, construction workers, peace corps volunteer, Brazilians, and Egyptians feel. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL. It's sick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
this is so true. i feel so bad for the families of the people who died in the shootings, but it does seem like we're reveling in having a tragedy of our own. i don't think we should cry every time anything bad happens to anyone, but soldiers aren't any less important than those students.
Post a Comment