Saturday, April 7, 2007

Blogging on a Saturday

This is very rare. I think this may be the only blog that I have actually posted on Saturday since I started this blog. This is mainly because my computer at home sucks some major ass. I think it may be maxed on viruses like college students get maxed out on credit cards. Sometimes, it just randomly turns off, and as any blogger knows, the worst thing that can happen while you're in the middle of typing a huge blog is your computer deciding to turn itself off. I'm currently at the library, which is why I have access to the Internet. Clint needed to come here to take a test for school, so I came with him, since I work here on Mondays and know where all the library crap is in the building. It is strange. Clint is starting college and getting his first library card, and I am taking DA photos and practicing my pushup, situp, running routine daily. It's like we have switched places. It's going to be strange when I am in the military and Clint is not. I don't think he will like toting around a dependent ID. I imagine it would be demasculating. If that is a word. This reminds me of something. My mother and father were both in the Navy. My dad was an enlisted torpedoman on a submarine, while my mom was an officer and a Navy nurse. In those days (this was in the 70s) insurance was only offered through USAA if you were an officer. So, my mom got insurance and then it transferred to my father when they were married. The point of this story is that whenever they call to get something verified through their insurance, my mom will answer the phone and the person on the other line will say, "May we please speak with Commander Hollywood?" They are always surprised when my mom says "speaking." It's funny that even in a world where things are supposedly equal rights and everyone fights to the death saying that there is no more glass ceiling, people still believe that some jobs are for women and some are for men. I was reading a book the other day that was saying there were now pink collar jobs. Jobs that have traditionally been womens jobs. Nurses, secretaries, things like that. I am going to be a LT in the United States Army and I am female. :) That is kickass, I think. BUT, on this note, I am mature enough to know that things like this do happen, and people still believe that females shouldn't be serving in the military and shouldn't be commanding soldiers or Marines through the field of battle. People out there are still fighting to not have women allowed to do infantry and artillary jobs in the military. I think this is for two reasons. 1: Some people don't believe women can do the job. Flat out. and 2: The American public is not ready to see the numbers of KIA and MIA soldiers and Marines creep up on the female spectrum. The thing is this: America is one of the only countries that still has a volunteer military. Countries around the world REQUIRE everyone to serve in their military. Females and males accordingly. Maybe America just needs to grow the hell up.

3 comments:

O meu Neurónio pensativo said...

hello, my name is Rui and i´m portuguese, i read your text but i think that you cold be wrong in some partes... women in army? i don´t think so. in portugal, women can go to the army... because of that, portugal don´t have a grat army... i´m a soldier, and i know what i talk.. sorry my english

Carly said...

haha. man, i was going to leave a great comment, but there's no way i can outdo the one that got here first.

hooray for being able to blog!

i have all these mental images of you training that I think i'm getting from G.I. Jane. I didn't know Clint was leaving the marines? It's not demasculating if he did it first. (I think that's a word)

Jealous of you going to California. It's fucking snowing here. I'm sorry you've been melting at work though.

You are going to be an awesome LT and you're going to do it without a penis. So there.

Katelyn said...

Wow... the first comment just proves my fuckin point out the butt, does it not? "some people just think women can't do the job. flat out." You are entitled to your opinion, so good to go, brother. Good luck with that.